Our Mission:

My first husband, Capt. Jerry Zimmer, was an F4B Phantom jet pilot, whose aircraft was shot down on August 29, 1969, approximately 20 miles South of Da Nang, Vietnam, after six months in country. Neither Jerry nor his navigator, 1st Lt. Al Graf, was able to eject, before the aircraft crashed into the Que Son Mountains. Initially Jerry and Al were classified as Killed in Action/No Body Recovered (KIA/NBR). Years later, both Marines were listed as MIA, along with other service members whose bodies were never recovered.

Jerry has been gone nearly a half century, and hope for recovering his remains had run out a long time ago.  However, in recent years our family became involved with the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command (JPAC), now merged with the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPAA), and learned that Jerry’s and Al’s remains might, in fact, be recoverable, so we are doing everything possible to support their efforts to make this happen and bring our guys home where they belong.


Vietnam Map



Friday, December 16, 2011 @ 11:12 PM  posted by Elaine Zimmer Davis

The Dong Ha Nerd Club — operators at the south side of the station, call sign NOEFA – November Zero Echo Foxtrot Alpha — had been through a tough day with the station’s bunker getting destroyed. Top, L-R: Ray Gross, Barry Weathersby and Harry Boggs. Bottom: Bill Biggs & Jim Elshoff.  CLICK HERE FOR MARINES FROM MARS-PDF   

During the Vietnam War, there were no cell phones, computers, Skype or the Internet, but many servicemen were able to connect – at least, occasionally — with family members back home, thanks to the Military Affiliate Radio Service (MARS).  Each branch of service set up its own MARS stations, manned by licensed ham radio operators, at strategic locations in South Vietnam.   Had it not been for the MARS operators, most  of whom served a normal, 13-month tour with the Army, Air Force, Navy or Marine Corps, many of us would not have spoken to our husbands, fathers, sons, or brothers ever again after they deployed to Southeast Asia. 

This blog is a tribute to every MARS operator who patched our guys through to the states, coped with the happy and sad calls and put up with bad radio protocol – namely, from family members like me, who never said “over” at the right moment!  When I eventually became a boater and learned proper radio speak, I cringed at how I’d screwed up every MARS call from Jerry, which were few in number.  I still remember his words and frustrated laugh:  “Elaine, you have to wait for me to say ‘over’ before you say anything.”  MARS operators, who served in Vietnam, undoubtedly heard this over and over again — no pun intended!

I recently spoke to Barry Weathersby about his 23 months (overall) in Vietnam – primarily serving as a MARS operator — and he summed up his extended tour this way:  “It was the most important time of my life,” said Barry, an Alabama boy, who dropped out of college at 18 and enlisted in the Marine Corps.  “Eighteen to 21 is a pretty formative time in your life, and it felt like I was doing something – I was in a decision-making role, where I could be of some benefit to people.”

A self-professed geek with no athletic ability, Barry still laughs about his decision to enlist in the Corps, where he was “so out place” and had no thoughts that his ham radio experience would play a pivotal role during his time in Vietnam with the Marine Corps.  At that point, the Marines had no official MOS for its in-country MARS program, begun circa 1965, but the pickings for ham operators in the Corps were slim, anyway.  “We didn’t have many hams, but the Army and Air Force had a lot more,” said Barry. However, the Marines did receive support from the Navy’s MARS operators, serving aboard ship, offshore. 

A communications specialist, Barry arrived in Danang in 1966 and was attached to an infantry unit as a radio operator. After three or four months in the field, his soon-to-be mentor, Sgt Bill Biggs, learned that Cpl Weathersby was a licensed Ham Radio Operator. The USMC was looking for a few good men to setup a MARS station and Biggs brought Barry into the fold. Barry “locked and loaded” for the last time and spent the rest of his tour as a MARS operator at I Corps stations in Phu Bai, Dong Ha and Con Thien.

For ham operators, like Barry, the Vietnam gig was a dream in some ways.  “We had Collins equipment –top of the line in the world – and all we wanted,” said Barry, who earned his ham license at age 15 and never could afford store-bought gear.  “I walked into the Phu Bai station, and someone put a $100,000 radio in front of me, and said “go play” and then he left to get a beer,” said Barry, remembering that he was still a teenager – yet sitting behind a desk, playing with the Ferrari of radio equipment.   

There were other perks, too, such as the living quarters, which were built by the Seabees to accommodate three to five Marines.   Essentially, three typical hootches were strung together with one serving as a waiting room for the guys coming in to make calls; another for the radio equipment and the last for sleeping quarters.  “Everything we got, we got as a trade,” said Barry, who went from eating in the field to a mess hall – food was tops on the trading list for calls.   But for geeks, like Barry, the real coup was that his time in country coincided with the top of the 11-year, sunspot cycle.  On a good night, they were able to run 50 patches – every once in while they ran 100 a night.  It was always a crapshoot, but single sideband had been perfected, and the MARS guys were in the right place, at the right time.

The calls were supposed to be limited to three minutes; however, if a guy was being told by his girlfriend or wife that she no longer wanted to wait for him, the MARS operators usually let these calls run their course.  And from Barry’s experience, most of the sad calls were the “Dear John” ones.  I did read about an incident, involving a MARS station in one of the services, in which a Dear John call ended horrifically.  Apparently, a young soldier tried to salvage his relationship with a girl back home, but it was to no avail.  She wanted out, and he told her that he was going kill himself if she left him, and before they hung up, he made good on his promise. 

Barry remembers one potentially sad call as having a happy ending – at least for the caller, but maybe not the Marine Corps.  The MARS guys were sitting in their hootch during the monsoon season of 1968.  It was dark outside and the visibility was nearly zero, when all of a sudden they heard a plane crash and knew it had happened close by.  “An H-34 helicopter had crashed outside our door in the middle of the night,” said Barry.  “A couple of guys needed help, and we ended up pulling out a Marine Captain and a 1st Lt., neither of whom wanted medical care. Instead, they wanted to find another aircraft right away and get back to Danang Air Base to the MARS station — the Captain’s wife was having a baby.”  Barry and the other MARS Marine told the guys that they didn’t need to get to Danang and proceeded to bring the two slightly shaken officers into the station. 

They cranked up the MARS system and reached someone in the states who was willing to canvas all the hospitals in the area of Florida where the Captain’s wife was living while her husband was overseas – the Captain didn’t know where his wife was delivering.  Each call required a team of three operators, beginning with the MARS operator, a ham operator stateside and a PAC Bell operator, all of whom were privy to every MARS conversation.  This one was special, and they were all on a mission to find the Captain’s wife for a Marine who was about to become a father for the first time.  The plan was perfectly executed.  The Captain talked to his wife, immediately after the delivery, and everyone involved in the call, cried right along with his newborn baby.  It was a watershed moment – literally. 

A day or two went by before the guys at the MARS station were questioned about the helicopter that had crashed outside their door.  “We told them that we knew it crashed,” said Barry, but that was about it.  A post script to this incident:  Apparently, the guys were fighter pilots who thought they could remember how to fly a helicopter — my guess is that there is a lot more to this story somewhere in the annals of Marine Corps history.

After Barry left the Marine Corps, he didn’t return to Alabama but rather headed for San Diego, where he married a young lady by the name of Delrae, who worked on the switchboard at Pacific Bell.  She  was one of his favorite operators, who handled many of his patches from Vietnam, and over four decades later, Delrae is still a favorite!  Barry ultimately finished college, became a policeman, went to Law School and eventually became a Foreign Service Officer with the Department of State, spending most of his career in Africa.     He and Delrae have two grown children, and Barry continues to be involved with MARS. 

 MARS has a rich history that even predates the Vietnam War era – Google lists several excellent MARS sites. MARS is still being used in remote areas of the world, when other types of coverage are not suitable. It is also an important source of communication during disasters.

20 Responses to “MARINES FROM MARS”

  1. There were always some good times. Those are the ones to remember

  2. Bert — I agree, despite the fact that we still have some unfinished business from the Vietnam War. Thanks for checking in.

  3. Great story and write-up – All of us Nam MARS Ops had similar experiences – I am surprised no one has ever made a movie sewing all these stories/experiences together and lauding the efforts of the MARS Ops in their penultimate experience bringing soldiers “mentally” home in the middle of a chaotic time in a war zone.
    73, Dennis N6KI ( WB2JDW in 1968 )
    Army MARS – NCOIC AB8AY – May 68 – May 69
    LZ Betty – Phan Thiet – 101st Airborne Division

  4. Dennis,
    What a nice way of describing the MARS connection of “bringing soldiers mentally home”…. Barry was a great interview, and I can only imagine the stories that our MARS guiys could tell – maybe there’s a book for someone out there!

  5. Doug Thomas says:

    My gosh! What a piece! My eyes are still wet!!
    This is wonderful and very touching. Barry, I had no idea you did all that stuff, I am so proud you are my friend.

  6. Bob Runyon, NOEFD says:

    What a great article and one of the best quotes I have heard about MARS…”bringing soldiers “mentally” home”

    Barry, I did not realize you married an operator from Pac Bell. Was she in the photo about the pac Bell phone and the Red Phone Booth?

  7. Daniel Morales says:

    From April of 1969 to February 1970, I was a MARS operator at station A88AAI in Dong Ha. However I was in the Army not the Marines. Although it is possible that this station had at first run by Marine personnel prior my getting there. There were 4 stations in that part of the country. We stationed across for the 3rd and 12th Marines. My most vivid memory and terrifying memory is when I first experienced ‘incoming’ rockets and mortar fire from the direction the DMZ. I was a Sgt E5 then. Very few experiences in my life have been as rewarding as that of assisting my ‘Nam’ brothers speak with loved ones stateside. And make no mistake we were all brothers. I always knew my Jarhead brothers had my back. Loved them all. I was only 21 at the time engaged the girl that I have spent the last 41 years with. Enjoying a daughter a son and 3 grandkids. Life is good. Thank you Army MARS….”OVER”

  8. Daniel — I created the title, MARINES FROM MARS, because I knew it would increase awareness of our efforts in Vietnam; however, I will always be grateful for our MARS operators, regardless of their branch of service. Also, it’s important to note that the Army started it all! Thanks for checking in!

  9. Ed Ross says:

    Barry et al
    Thanks for your service for those of us who were not able to come in to the station. MARS guys/gals put up with lousy landline calls when available (talk about diggin us out of the mud)! to make a call for me and other Marines once in Da Nang 66 and once in Dong Ha early 67. Especially the folks at Barry Goldwaters’ place that called my family. Wonderful ! Beautiful ! Work.
    Semper Fi,
    Best 73.
    Ed N6GZI

  10. Barry Weathersby says:

    Thanks everybody for all the comments. But the real credit goes to those we served. Today the MARS motto is, “Serving Those Who Serve”. It has never been so true as it was in Vietnam. We did bust our butts, but only because the guys needed it so much. Thank you, Elaine, for this great blog and let all of us know what we can do to get closure for you. Maybe once we get our website back up we can be a positive force.

  11. Barry,
    Thank you for giving all the MARS guys an important place in history. You are the best.

  12. Daniel Morales says:


    In all my searching and research, trying to find other guys connected in some way to the MARS station in Dong Ha, l somehow missed onotial your post. I was so sad to read the part anout the GI who took his own life over a failed romamce. Sadly in 1969 we had a similar incidedent with a PFC member of the 12th Marines across the street from our station. It was l who patched the call and lidtened to his conversation to hod home town in upstate New York. In looking up his name on the Vietnam memorial records, his death is listed as other than combat. But in actuality it should read as “part and parcel of the war”. I will carry that memory to me final rest.

    Daniel Morales,
    Sgt. E5 Army MARS
    Dong Ha, South Vietnam


  13. Daniel,
    Reading your comment brought back that terrible situation, and I’m sure that the one you witnessed was horrific and continues to give you nightmares. I’ve thought about the guy mentioned in my “Marines from Mars” blog, and it makes me shudder to think of that young Marine’s desperation. Over the years, I’ve talked to a lot of combat soldiers and Marines, and you’re not alone.

    Thank you for checking in,



  14. Rick says:

    @ the ripe old age of 14 I was AFC0BNR in Air Force MARS and handling patch traffic back to the Midwest on a S-Line too. It was an experience I’ll never forget despite the ribbing from kids in school who thought I was crazy.
    Since then I’ve become a Merchant Marine radio officer and have worked in the “sandbox” as a contractor on comms and such (including Diego Garcia, Kiribati, Kwajalein and more).

  15. Rick,

    Thank you for sharing that incredible story of then and now. You have my utmost respect — we lived for those calls back in the day.

  16. David says:

    For me, the few years I was able to serve as a MARS operator were an honor and a privilege.

    AF6VP (W6SIG from 66-68)

  17. Gary Burgher says:

    You may recall that I emailed you a while back and told you that I went to Vestal High School and played on the football team with Jerry. Checking in on your website I see comments about the “Mars” stations.

    When I was in the Air Force (1962 – 1966) I worked directly with “Mars”, supplying the equipment to its members. At the time it seemed like an insignificant job. But after reading the comments in your website, I’m proud of the little that I contributed.

    What you have done to keep the memory of Jerry alive is incredible. All that know you are thankful for who you are, and what you continue to do.

    Thank you Elaine.

    Gary Burgher

  18. Hi Gary,

    Sorry I am so late responding, but please know that I am so happy you were touched in a very special way by the “Marines From Mars” post . Supplying the Mars’ guys with equipment in a war zone enabled so many families to hear a loved one’s voice — even for a couple of minutes. It was huge. I loved reading the comments from the Mars’ guys, and I also loved reading yours — you deserve to be with them! Thanks, Gary. Jerry had great friends, and I know you were one of them. Best, Elaine

  19. Daniel Morales says:

    I was assigned to MARS station AB8AAI from April 1969 to January 1970. I was in the Army (Sgt. E5) It was the greatest job l ever had. We also experienced a similar event as happened in August 1969. A Marine PFC from upstate New York, learned after s call that his girl had dropped him for someone else. He took the news calmly. Went back to his hooch, put his M16 to his mouth and ended his life. The incident still haunts me. To me he is s causality of a terrible and uneccessary conflict. Still my time there was rewarding and fulfilling. We performed s great service to our GI brothers and their families.

  20. Daniel — thanks for sharing a very sad story that needed to be told. I hope anyone reading your response to “Marines From Mars” understands that wartime casualties are not always from the battlefield — sometimes they come from the Homefront. I can only imagine how tough it has been to relive that moment for so long. I’ve relived Jerry’s crash for most of my life, but to my knowledge this is the first time I’ve ever put that in print. Take care of yourself — you’re worth it.

Leave a Reply